“ I can also personally attest to the unsurpassed quality of life. That is perhaps the greatest advantage of Barbados, the fact that you can enjoy a wonderful lifestyle while still getting the job done.” – Damian McKinney, CEO, McKinney Rogers
This particular year, provides compelling motivation to reflect on what this young nation has achieved so far and assess our current status. The good news is that while any clear thinking and forthright Barbadian would readily acknowledge that there is a great deal that needs fixing, it is also equally apparent that Barbados and its people have achieved genuine world class excellence in a diverse range of areas – with many such examples featured in the pages of this publication.
A globally successful UK businessman, who owns of one the most iconic homes on the island, once described Barbados to me as “the best compromise in the Caribbean” – essentially meaning that while nowhere in the world is perfect, this small country manages to offer a little bit of everything to everybody, creating a happy balance that can rarely be found elsewhere. In essence, life in Barbados can be both simple and sophisticated.
- Barbados is an isolated tropical island thousands of miles away from most countries – but it is easy to get here, either via regular scheduled flights from numerous international gateways or via private jet and the island’s world class IAM Jet Centre.
- High profile celebrities can slip quietly in and out of Barbados and enjoy a scarce sense of freedom when moving around in public undisturbed – while staying at some of the most luxurious hotels and villas to be found anywhere in the world.
- Visitors to Barbados find it easy to switch off from the customary stresses and strains of their everyday existence – but thanks to the island’s world class ICT capacity there is never a second when they need to feel cut off from the outside world.
- Barbados is blessed with outstanding natural beauty, spectacular beaches, ideal sea conditions and the most benign climate imaginable – but can also offer a plethora of world class entertainment, nightlife and dining options.
- Sports and outdoors exercise are a normal part of life in Barbados – but the island is also home to a diverse range of world-class sporting facilities, including international standard golf courses, polo fields and, quite remarkably, a motorsports circuit-racing facility that has already hosted the Top Gear Festival and the Race of Champions, a global event that attracts the world’s top drivers in every discipline.
- For many years Barbados has been held in high esteem for its many qualities as a tourism destination where visitors are made welcome and life moves along at a chilled-out pace – but beyond the hotels and beaches there is also a vibrant international business sector which is managed and operated by world class professionals.
- Barbadians are rightly renowned for being relaxed, easy-going individuals – but they have also proven themselves to be world-class academics, scientists, artists, business leaders, entrepreneurs, creators and innovators.
- Despite being a relatively young nation of modest physical dimensions, Barbados has successfully negotiated and established a wide-reaching network of double taxation treaties with an impressive array of countries around the globe, including traditional trading partners like Canada and the UK, as well as new emerging markets such as China, Africa, Cuba and Latin America.
- Barbados is generally safe and secure. Children grow up happy here.
All of these many advantages combine to create a special ‘Barbados X-factor’ that continues to attract discerning people to these shores, including an increasing number of high net worth individuals (HNWs) who choose to purchase a home and invest in business in this country. While the majority of investors are attracted by the fact that Barbados is tried-and-tested as a stable and secure country, complete with sound banking and legal systems, beneficial tax legislation, a pro-business government and a welcoming residency policy, the harsh reality is that there are many other desirable destinations around the world that can also offer these same benefits. So, given the fact that successful entrepreneurs can make money anywhere and live anywhere, it is a huge vote of confidence that so many choose Barbados.
At the very least, that vote of confidence indicates that these investors can successfully conduct business in Barbados while also enjoying a lifestyle that is as pleasurable as in their homeland – possibly even more so, due to the intangible but invaluable attributes of enjoying a more relaxed frame of mind and improved health and wellbeing.
With its harmonious blend of island living and world class excellence, Barbados can be good for you, your family and your business.